Five years ago, nobody knew they had a microbiome. Today, we’re obsessed with it.
That may be a slight exaggeration, but the health of the community of microbes living in and on our bodies, 100 trillion single-cell organisms, outnumbering human cells 10 to 1, has become a top priority and with good reason! Our gut bacteria regulate many of our bodily functions, from creating vitamins to controlling our immune system, our brain function and of course, our metabolism and weight. They are critical to our long-term health.
Tangy Mustard Cole Slaw is full of great foods to support and heal your gut, especially the fiber-rich cabbage, onion, and celery. By adding apple cider vinegar, you have upped the ante with a fermented food that offers some probiotics and generally good gut bacteria. Just a touch of healthy fat completes the dish perfectly!
This light and crisp, not-too-creamy salad is great with any barbecue meal: beef, chicken, or fish! Add a dash of hot sauce to mustard mixture for extra spiciness. Serve it at your next party and you might think you should have doubled the recipe!
· 7 cups finely shredded green cabbage (about 1/2 head, or buy already cut)
· 1 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
· 1 cup grated carrot
· 1 cup thinly sliced celery
· 1/4 cup unpasteurized apple cider vinegar (substitute white wine or champagne vinegar only on very special occasions!)
· 2 Tbs. raw sugar (optional)
· 2 Tbs. whole grain Dijon mustard
· 2 Tbs. organic or olive oil based mayonnaise (substitute the best you can find)
· 1/8 tsp. salt
· 1/8 tsp. black pepper
· 1/8 tsp. ground red pepper
1. Combine cabbage, onion, and 1 cup carrot in a large bowl. Combine white wine vinegar, sugar, mustard, mayo, salt and pepper, and red pepper in a small bowl. Stir well with a whisk.
2. Add mustard mixture to cabbage mixture and toss well to coat. Cover and chill for 20 minutes.
3. Stir before serving.
Yield: 7 servings
Try this recipe out for yourself and let us know what you think!
This article was written by Judith Samuels
M.A.Certified Nutrition and Wellness Consultant for Onelife Fitness