'Tis the season for non-stop parties and family gatherings with tempting foods and drinks around every corner. It’s enough to have you fa-la-la-’ing off the health & fitness rails.
Here are a few tips to keep you on the right track:
1. Use a calendar to schedule your workouts during the holidays just as you would holiday parties and events. Having a set schedule will hold you accountable and help keep you on track during these busy holiday months.
2. Beware of liquid calories including eggnog, alcohol, soda, lattes, and the like. These drinks are full of calories and sugar – very often much more than we realize. They tend to go down very easily and quickly add up. (EEK) Limiting the type and amount you drink will help keep your calorie intake from going overboard.
3. Drink your water. Aim for at least a half a gallon a day. Drinking water before an event will not only keep you hydrated but will also help you from overeating. (and a nice complexion boost too!)
4. Use small plates. Studies have shown that using smaller plates can help you manage portion sizes and reduce your calorie intake.
5. Fill your plate with lean proteins and veggies first- such as cocktail shrimp, grilled chicken skewers, and raw veggies. Bonus tip: bring a healthy dish to share so you know you have at least one healthy option at the party.